A Traveler’s Guide to the 2010 Addison Oktoberfest
After attending Oktoberfest in Addison, Texas (a suburb of Dallas), in 2008 and 2009, I’ve learned what to expect and how to get the most fun for the least amount of money. I’m looking forward to attending Addison’s 2010 Oktoberfest next Thursday, September16th, because I will be prepared this year. I wrote this post as a brief guide to the festival for travelers, first timers and those wanting to optimize his/her experience.
Here are Six Tips for Having a Great Time at the 2010 Addison Oktoberfest
1. Come hungry- Get yourself a German sausage plate with kraut and potatoes. This is the most authentic food they sell at the festival.
2. Keep your glass – If you go more than one day, or plan on attending the next year, keep your glass and you’ll get a discount on beer.
3. Get your tickets early off-site - You can save $5 if you get your ticket at Albertsons rather than buying it at the gate.
4. Go on Thursday – You won’t have to go to Albertsons if you go on the first Thursday it’s open. It’s half price.
5. Don’t go crazy on the tickets - You have to buy tickets for transactions whether you’re buying food, beer, or riding one of the classic festival rides. You might even be tempted by the call of the carnie to throw rings on milk bottles for a large panda. When buying tickets, it’s better to go under then over, otherwise at the end of the night you might be stuck with some extra tickets, wasted money, and tinge of guilt about not going back to spend them.
6. Consider the VIP – If you’re really into the German experience, get the VIP ticket and included comes some of the finest of Bavarian full-service dining featuring an expanded Oktoberfest menu of either: Brathaenchen, Braised Pork, or the Sampler. For dessert you have your choice of either an Apfeltarte, warm apple lattice tart with cinnamon ice cream, or Black Forest Parfait, Kirschwasser-infused cherries layered with Bavarian cream and shaved chocolate. And of course you also get a stein filled with Spaten or Franzikaner beer, soda or water. For VIP, a reservation is required.
Below are 13 Commonly Asked Questions About this Popular Texas Beer Festival
QUESTION: Why is the Addison Oktoberfest held in September?
ANSWER: They schedule the Addison Oktoberfest to coincide with the opening of the world-renown Oktoberfest celebration in Munich, which is a 16-day festival that ends on the first weekend in October.
QUESTION: Where is the Addison Oktoberfest?
ANSWER: Addison Circle Park, 4970 Addison Circle Drive
QUESTION: When is the Addison Oktoberfest this year?
ANSWER: Thursday, September 16, 6:00 p.m. – 11:00 p.m.
Friday, September 17, 6:00 p.m. – Midnight
Saturday, September 18, 12:00 p.m.(Noon) – Midnight
Sunday, September 19, 12:00 p.m. (Noon) – 5:00 p.m.
QUESTION: How much is admission?
ANSWER: Admission for ages 4 and older is free on Thursday; $5 before 5 pm on Saturday and all day Sunday; and $10 on Friday and after 5pm on Saturday. Admission to the festival may be purchased at the gate. Discount tickets will be available at all DFW Albertsons closer to the event.
QUESTION: Will I be allowed to leave and return later?
ANSWER: Yes, they stamp your hand before you leave and you may return free of charge on the same day.
QUESTION: Where do I park?
ANSWER: There is free Parking at NW corner of Dallas Parkway and Arapaho Road.
QUESTION: Is parking available for the disabled?
ANSWER: Yes, at the DART Station located off of Arapaho Road and Quorum Drive. Parking will be located at the far East end of the lot.
QUESTION: Will an ATM be available on-site?
ANSWER: Yes, there are on-site ATMs.
QUESTION: May I bring a stroller, child’s wagon, or a motorized wheelchair to the festival?
ANSWER: Yes, you can bring a stroller, child’s wagon, but bicycles, skates and scooters are not allowed.
QUESTION: May I bring a cooler to the festival?
ANSWER: No, a cooler is not allowed and alcohol is not permitted to enter or leave the festival grounds.
QUESTION: Can I bring my pet to the festival?
ANSWER: No, pets are not allowed on the grounds. Service animals for persons with disabilities are welcome.
QUESTION: What are Addison Oktoberfest event coupons?
ANSWER: Food, drinks, carnival rides, midway games, and wine tasting are purchased with festival coupons. There will be several locations throughout the park to purchase Oktoberfest event coupons.